Atari is a classic video game company that was founded in 1972. Over the years, Atari has released many popular games for its various gaming systems, including Pong, Asteroids, and Missile Command.
But which Atari game is considered the best? That’s a tough question to answer, as it really depends on who you ask.
Some people might say that Pong is the best Atari game because it was the first successful video game and set the stage for the entire industry.
Others might argue that Asteroids is the best because of its iconic gameplay and timeless appeal.
Still others might claim that Missile Command is the best because of its challenging gameplay and strategic depth. Ultimately, the best Atari game is a matter of personal preference. However, it’s hard to argue with the popularity and enduring appeal of classics like Pong, Asteroids, and Missile Command. These games have stood the test of time and are still played and enjoyed by millions of people around the world.
Among other popular Atari 2600 games that might answer the question “What is considered the best Atari game?” are:
- Space Invaders: This classic arcade game was released by Atari in 1978 and became an instant hit. Players control a spaceship at the bottom of the screen and must defend against waves of incoming aliens.
- Tempest: This 1981 game is a fast-paced, abstract shooter in which players navigate a spaceship through a series of interconnected tubes, shooting at enemies and avoiding obstacles.
- Centipede: This 1980 game is a classic arcade shooter in which players control a spaceship at the bottom of the screen and must defend against a never-ending stream of insects.
- Robotron: 2084: This fast-paced 1982 game tasks players with controlling a character and shooting their way through waves of enemies while avoiding obstacles.
- Joust: This 1982 game is a two-player action game in which players control knights riding flying ostriches and must knock each other off their birds to win.
- Major Havoc: This 1983 game is a multi-level arcade shooter in which players control a spaceship and must navigate through a series of obstacles and defeat enemies.
- Defender: This 1981 game is a classic arcade shooter in which players control a spaceship and must defend against waves of incoming aliens while rescuing humans and avoiding obstacles.
- Berzerk: This 1980 game is a classic arcade shooter in which players control a character and must navigate through a series of mazes while shooting at robots and avoiding obstacles.
Next up in the Atari rolodex: What Atari games are rare?